Sam Shipley & Allison Sires (Kunst)
Raise your hand if you love Trovata! The East Coast prep-meets-West Coast surf clothing line founded in 2002 by college buddies Sam Shipley, Jeff Halmos (yes, now of Shipley & Halmos, see what we did here?) holds a special bond for todays couple. Beyond the brands signature buttons and stripes, TriBeCa-based couple, Sam Shipley and Allison Sires have shared their labour and love developing the label. Fast forward a few years and the design duo are making their mark in other major ways. While Shipley heads up the CFDA award-winning brand alongside Halmos (duh!), Sires has set up shop in NoLita with the launch of her boutique, Thomas Sires. After crafting her design skills at major retailers like our high school homesteads, Abercrombie & Fitch and American Eagledont act like you didnt die for it, tooSires headed over to footwear giant, Loeffler Randall where she met her current biz partner, Fiona Thomas. And the rest is history! Their home takes shape much in the way his brand and her boutique does- both Shipley and Sires have a thing for the cute and quirky. Thomas Sires' carefully-curated shop and S&Hs Things! certainly has transferred its way inside their humble abode in the form of art materials, typewriters, vintage guitar amps meets shoes, striped sweaters and those fresh S&H shades that we havent stopped thinking about. (Just putting it out there, boys.) From the Bears cap on his head to their matching Minnetonka moccasins on their toes, this couple defines NYC cool in a not-so-conventional way and thats exactly what we love about them!
Digital InspirationHaw-linAmazonPitchforkOf a Kindbut does it floatFFFFOUND!@shipley_halmos@ThomasSires
So how did the two of you meet?
Allison Sires: He was my boss, but we didn't date while working together.
Sam Shipley: We met on the job. I was actually Allison's boss.
Was it love at first sight?
Allison Sires: Like I mentioned, I worked for Sam, so I never really thought about him in that way. However, we started dating pretty soon after we both had left the company, so I guess there must have been something brewing on the subconscious level.
Sam Shipley: I know Allison will say it wasn't, but I was into her for a while. We kept it professional but once we left our jobs it was on.
How long have you been together?
Allison Sires: 4 1/2 years.
Sam Shipley: 4 1/2 years. Not long enough.
How do you balance successful careers and your relationship? What's your secret?
Allison Sires: We try to help one another out. If Sam's really busy with work, I take on more of our shared responsibilities and vice versa. Also keeping work talk to a minimum is key for us.
Sam Shipley: We just try to stay even keel. It's easy to get stressed in New York, but if one of us is going through something, the other has probably been there before and can really be supportive.
What advice would you give to other couples?
Sam Shipley: Try to keep work talk down to a minimum, it can quickly become central to your relationship and I think that's detrimental. Also running your own business can be rough, but it can also be amazing, so you need to take full advantage of the good times.
Allison Sires: See below.
What was the best relationship advice given to you?
Allison Sires: I was taught The Golden Rule in Brownies. Even though it's not specific to 'romantic' relationships, it totally works... One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself. Can't argue with that.
Sam Shipley: Don't save today's homework for tomorrow. Not really relationship advice, but I apply it to being honest and upfront with how you feel. Don't hold it in.
How would you define your style? And how would you define your partner's style?
Allison Sires: I love prints, color and interesting fabrics so I wear a lot of these. Sam always looks really natural in his clothes. I love his style.
Sam Shipley: I'm more of uniform kinda guy, I wear the same shit everyday. Ha. Ali's super into color and prints, there's a freshness in the way she dresses. Simple, elegant, and NEW!
Most memorable moment with partner?
Allison Sires: We've had a lot of great moments on our vacations to Anegada in the Caribbean.
Sam Shipley: There are too many to pick just one, but seeing her at the opening of her store Thomas Sires was amazing. She was so happy. It was a wonderful night.
Do you admire any other power couples?
Allison Sires: Coach Eric Taylor and his wife Tami.
Sam Shipley: Not sure if know any off hand.
Any fun or loving anecdotes that you would like to share?
Sam Shipley: Allison has the best laugh ever, no one can compete, no one.
http://thecoveteur.com/Sam_Shipley_Allison_Sires
Geen opmerkingen :
Een reactie posten