dinsdag 26 november 2013

2.The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook by Griffith Day and Cheryl Day (Boek)

*****
Fire up your oven with recipes from what Paula Deen calls one of the "must-eat-at-places" in Savannah

Nationally recognized and locally adored for its decadent homespun desserts and delicious rustic breads, Back in the Day Bakery is a Savannah landmark. As Paula Deen says in her foreword, Cheryl and Griff Day "bake decadent treats, but they also bake wonderful memories that stay with you forever."

To celebrate the bakery's tenth anniversary, this duo has written a book filled with customers' favorite recipes. It's packed with Cheryl and Griff's baking know-how plus recipes for their famous Buttermilk Biscones, Old-Fashioned Cupcakes, Chocolate Bread, Cinnamon Sticky Buns, S'more Pie, Almond Crunchies, Drunk Blondies, Pinkies Chocolate Lunch-Box Treats, Rustic Cheddar Pecan Rounds, and much more. Irresistible full-color photographs of food and behind-the-scenes bakery shots will give readers a glimpse into the sweet daily life at the bakeshop. Celebrating family traditions, scratch baking, and quality ingredients, The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook is like a down-home bake sale in a book.

From Booklist
Home bakers first and bakery owners second, Paula Deen darlings the Days here inventory recipes for every season and sweet tooth that even the most amateur among us can feel comfortable in attempting: cinnamon-sugar-doughnut muffins, Mexican hot chocolate shortbread, and a shortcut piecrust that the Days promise will impress. Necessary special tools are clearly noted, and the tips, commentary, and notes are as fun to digest as these southern sweets look to be. One particularly funny inclusion is a customer’s ode to the “Pecan Sandra,” written after not finding his favorite cookie in the cases. The book is as pleasantly, cohesively stylized and visually appealing as the Days’ Savannah outpost. Drool-inducing photos featuring the impressive yet decidedly unfussy baked goods (with a special section devoted to savories as well, such as baked eggs and pancetta-fontina bread pudding) placed beside carefully culled vintage kitchenware and objets d’art of the cooking persuasion are works of art in themselves. --Annie Bostrom

Review
The best marshmallow recipe I have tried, and I have made a lot! ” Camille C. Howard | 34 reviewers made a similar statement

Very well written and beautiful pictures. ” Pamela | 26 reviewers made a similar statement

I never considered myself a baker, but with successes like these, I've come to love baking and making treats my family enjoys. ” Island Lady | 24 reviewers made a similar statement stumbled upon this book a few weeks ago and fell in love with it! I am a scratch baker myself, self taught just for the love of it! Thankfully I come from a family who helped show me the way. I love everything about this book. I've made six recipes so far from this book - Brown Sugar Banana Bread, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Red Velvet Cake, Cherry Pie Bars, Sour Cream Coffee Cake and Bacon Jam. I also had the pleasure of going to a baking class here in California with the lovely Cheryl and Griffith Day and got to sample their Chocolate Heaven Cake, Blueberry Buckle, Drunken Blondies, Coconut Cream Pie, Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, and they made the Bacon Jam too. Everything that I have baked myself from the book as well as what they baked for us that day has been beyond delicious! Most to the point of incredible!! I have to say the Coconut Cream Pie was the best I have ever tasted as well as the Red Velvet Cake. I have made about 5 different red velvet recipes trying to find one that is perfect and their recipe is finally the winner! I tried Paula Deen's, Bobby Flay's, Alton Browns, etc. and their recipe blew them all away. I also have to say that I made the Cherry Pie Bars thinking they would be good but wasn't expecting anything spectacular but they were. I wound up using a mix of cherries, blackberries and raspberries from Trader Joe's and the guys that tasted it said I should enter it into a contest somewhere, it's that good! Don't even get me started on the Bacon Jam! It is one of the best things I have ever tasted! I personally thought it sounded weird and thought the bacon might be rubbery or something after all that cooking down with the liquids but it isn't.

Truly this is the first book I have ever owned that I feel I could bake everything from. Everything! There is so much love in this book and the recipes are ones that you will treasure. There is nothing really fancy about it, they don't try and reinvent the wheel, these are just incredible good old fashioned American desserts that have stood the test of time and will hopefully continue to inspire new generations to get back to scratch baking rather than buying manufactured baked goods that are filled with artificial ingredients and certainly made with no love. Do yourself a favor and get this book!!! It's written for anyone, whether you bake all the time or haven't ever made anything from scratch. This is certainly one that will never sit on a dusty shelf!

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Day-Bakery-Cookbook/dp/1579654584/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357218792&sr=1-2&keywords=cookbooks+best+sellers+2012

http://www.backinthedaybakery.com/about.html

Geen opmerkingen :

Een reactie posten