donderdag 21 november 2013

Apple pie (Kopie)

*****
The other day I was stressed (I bake when I’m stressed) and craving my mom’s apple pie. It was so tasty that I thought I’d share the goodness with you!

Ingredients

enough pastry for a double crust 9 inch pie. (You can use pre-made pie crust or make your own. I used this recipe to make mine from scratch.)

6 tart apples, peeled (Green or Granny Smith variety)

1/2-3/4 cup sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

2-4 tbsp flour

2-4 tbsp butter

Directions

Line pie pan with pastry crust; prick crust bottom with a fork all over and then trim off excess crust edges.

Peel your apples and remove the core. I like chunkier apples in my pie so I cut the chunks into about 1-1.5” pieces.

Prepare your apples by combining together sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour into a pot*. Add your sliced apples to the pot on medium heat, gently stirring to combine. Remove from heat when your apples are just slightly soft (they’ll finish cooking in the oven so you don’t want them too soft).

Pour your apple filling into pastry-lined pan; dot filling with chunks of butter.

Cover with top crust; I did a basket weave on the pie and cut off the excess. Press firmly together to seal the bottom and top crust layers. I also like to brush a little milk on top of the crust because it gives it a nice golden brown color.

Bake in preheated 400-425 F oven for 40-45 minutes.

*If sweeter apples are used, you can add lemon juice when prepping the apples to desired tartness. I used about 2 tablespoons

Geen opmerkingen :

Een reactie posten