maandag 25 november 2013

5 Minute Asian Cucumber Salad (Kopie)

*****
I’ve had quite a few pickling cucumbers in my produce boxes from my Sunday farmers market and while I LOVE dipping them in hummus, I will NEVER turn down a good cucumber salad. This cucumber salad does not use any vinegar. I know that’s probably odd for most people but I like to use salt and muddle my cucumbers instead of dousing them in vinegar. One other note, if you haven’t toasted your own sesame seeds, PLEASE DO. There is such a tremendous different in flavor plus you do toast them in batches so you’re set for a couple of weeks (depending on how much you use). I wish I could do a side by side tasting via this website right now to prove my point. Try it once, you won’t by pretoasted ones ever again. *end rant*

The single serving recipe for this cucumber salad is as follows

2 small pickling cucumbers (you can use larger ones and increase all the ingredients if you’d like)
4-6 cherry tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon of salt (aka a pinch)
2 inches of daikon radish (can sub. w red radish)
1 teaspoon home toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2-3 Lime leaves (can sub. lime juice about a teaspoon)
Cilantro

Grill the tomatoes whole. I grilled them for 3 minutes in a George Foreman grill. You do NOT want them to burst; they should just soften up. This can be done in a frying pan or skillet as well. When they are just about to burst, let them cool a minute and cut them in half. Thinly slice the cucumbers, sprinkle them with salt and muddle them lightly in a mixing bowl. Add in thinly sliced daikon, julienne lime leaves and cilantro, halved cooked tomatoes and the sesame oil. Sprinkle the top with toasted sesame seeds and it’s done.
As with all cucumber salads, the longer it sits the more the flavors marry but I didn’t intend to let this sit at all and that is why I muddled he cucumbers and grilled the tomatoes (so they’d still release their juices). Hence the “5 minute cucumber salad”.

Feel free to modify this recipe as you’d please but please, do enjoy!

Geen opmerkingen :

Een reactie posten